Making an Informed Decision
At Hailsham Sixth Form we have a wide mixture of subjects on offer to students of all abilities. These include Level 3 courses such as Advanced Levels and also a range of BTEC National qualifications. As part of the application process we offer guidance on ‘packages’ of subjects that complement each other, as well as ensuring the courses you take are the right ones to support your future ambitions. Please be aware that the courses you select will be dependent on your achievement at GCSE level.
AS / A Level Courses
The new look Advanced Level courses will mean that to achieve the full A Level, students will have to have completed two years study, with the final exams at the end of Year 13 contributing 100% towards the awarded grade. This will mean that you will have to make some careful considerations about what subjects you choose – as well as playing to your strengths you will need to consider how they fit into your long term plans.
At Hailsham Sixth Form we have a proven track record in delivering BTEC National courses. This vocationally related type of study is recognised by employers and universities as being of equal value to A levels and will often involve more practical than theory based learning. These courses also take place over two years and develop specific skill sets and qualities which are valued highly by employers and applicable to related degree level courses of university.
- To study 3 / 4 A Levels: GCSEs / BTECS at Grade 9 – 5 or Distinction / Merit in at least 4 different subjects preferably including English and Maths.
- To study 3 / 4 BTEC qualifications: GCSEs / BTECS at Grade 9 – 5 or Distinction / Merit in at least 4 different subjects preferably including English and Maths.
- Biology / Chemistry / Physics: Minimum grade 6 in exam component of chosen science subject.
- English Literature or English Language: Minimum grade 5 in English Literature or English Language.
- Economics / Maths / Further Maths: Minimum grade 6 in Maths.
- Social Sciences – Negotiable but grade B in English Language desirable.
- A student failing to meet the minimum entry requirements will always be considered by the Head of Sixth Form. Some of our most successful students have joined us with low grades but with absolute passions and talent in a particular area. Where this is the case we will always be understanding and willing to let students try a subject.