Hailsham Community College strives for the highest standards in all aspects of college life. Uniform is one of the outward signs by which the local community recognises and makes judgments about our students.
It is important for individual students and the college as a whole that the way students present themselves is positive, professional and conveys a disciplined and well ordered learning environment. Smart uniform ensures that all students are prepared for work both in college and beyond.
It is expected that all students will wear full college uniform whilst journeying to and from college, and whilst inside and outside the college buildings. The uniform should be neat and clean, communicating that our students take pride in belonging to Hailsham Community College. Parents and carers are expected to support the policy with regards to ensuring the highest standards of college uniform.
Members of staff are expected to support the uniform policy, both in a class setting and around the college. The uniform policy supports the ethos of the college by determining the boundaries of acceptable dress.
Refusal to comply is treated in the same way as a refusal to comply with any other college rule. Students will be given the opportunity to go home and change (with parental consent). If this is not possible students will be removed from lessons until they are able to wear the correct uniform.
Compulsory Uniform (Unisex)
|College Blazer with logo on breast pocket.|
*Plain white formal dress shirt – Long sleeve or short sleeve. No open neck and must be buttoned to the collar.
College tie in House colour
Formal, conventional and suit-like tailored trousers that are not excessively slim-fit. No jeans or chino styles are permitted.
|College skirt with logo – no other skirts permitted|
Flat, black, leather shoes (including suede and patent leather). These must be formal, work-style shoes without branding logos or coloured stitching. This does not include black leather trainers. Strictly no trainers, trainer style, canvas, sandal style or non-formal shoes are permitted.
The College will lend shoes to students whose shoes are faulty until new ones can be purchased. These will be disinfected in the same manner as bowling shoes for hygiene purposes.
|Black socks without logos / Plain black opaque tights without|
PE Kit (Unisex)
|HCC PE shirt with logo|
|A choice of: Plain black shorts Plain black tracksuit bottoms Plain black sports leggings|
|Plain black sweatshirt (no Hoodies)|
|Plain black football socks or white sports socks|
|Trainers/Astros which support feet and ankles. No canvas pumps, these are not supportive or protective enough for PE lessons. Football boots for Astro/3G pitch and Field) – see below|
* Any item described as plain must have no patterns, markings or logos whatsoever.
Blazers must be worn at all times when moving around the college with the following exceptions:
- Blazers may be removed in lessons at teacher’s discretion.
- Blazers may be removed whilst participating in break/lunch activities on the all-weather pitch and on the field only.
- Blazers must be worn on the playground.
- During warm weather, blazers may be taken off around the college if communicated via the staff on the day.
Shirts and ties must be worn appropriately, i.e. shirts must be tucked in, collars buttoned and ties knotted to the neck and worn to the waist.
Outdoor coats/scarves/hats/gloves must be removed inside all the buildings.
- Plain charcoal/dark grey ‘v’ neck jumper. The round neck HCC PE sweatshirt is not appropriate
- Plain black tights or knee length socks for the girls.
- Plain white vest/t-shirt to go under shirts.
- Plain black belts for trousers or a thin black belt for skirts.
* Any other skirt except the HCC College skirt.
* Tight, fitted open neck blouses that do not permit a tie to be worn correctly.
* Open neck shirts.
* Fitted blouses that do not permit them to be tucked in.
* Tight, hipster trousers that do not permit a shirt to be worn tucked in.
* Tight, drain-pipe trousers or ‘skinny’ trousers which are tight at the ankle.
* Casual or Jeans trousers (for example, Chinos, jeans or jogging bottoms).
* T-shirts worn underneath shirts that do not permit the shirt to be tucked in.
* Coloured T-shirts or T-shirts with logos.
* Sweatshirt jumpers/’hoodies’ and other sportswear
* ‘Fashion’ belts.
JEWELLERY, HAIR AND MAKEUP
* No jewellery is to be worn, except for a watch, one ring per hand and one pair of small gold or silver (5mm diameter) studs: one stud in each ear lobe only. No other piercings are allowed in the ear. No other form of visible body piercing is allowed, including those in the nose and other facial piercings. Students may not cover these with plasters, use sleepers or clear piercings. All piercings other than the permitted one small stud in each ear lobe must be completely removed whilst at school. Parents who want their children to have facial piercings should take advice from professionals so that these can be removed for school. The college takes the view that facial piercings can be dangerous and easily become infected and as such, will not support piercings being worn for any reason in school.
* Hair should not be any style which we believe would undermine the ethos or discipline of the college i.e. markings cut into the hair, unnaturally coloured hair or any extreme fashion, etc, which would create any undue interest in the students.
* Any makeup should be discreet, subtle and worn in such a way that it appears entirely natural.
* Coloured nail varnish is not permitted.
Students who need to wear alternative uniform due to a medical condition will need to have a note explaining this from their GP or equivalent.
Students with incorrect uniform should report to their House Leader in the first instance as soon as they arrive on site. Where possible, students will be offered items of uniform to borrow or they will remain with their House Leader or other staff for the day.
Our uniform supplier is Sussex Uniforms.
Please visit their website to purchase Uniform:
We keep a small supply of ties at the college, which can be purchased from the Secondary site Reception.